July 08, 2011

CRAZY 4 CULT 5

None More Black Light Poster
Florescent acrylic on art board

UPDATE: You can get original art from Crazy 4 Cult 5 here, and prints are here.

Once again I'm ever so thankful to get to take part in the annual Crazy 4 Cult art show at L.A.'s Gallery 1988: Melrose. It's my fourth year to participate, but it's the first time that I've deviated from my series of film family portraits to cover a new, equally gimmicky format—the black light poster (as seen above). It's a concept I've had in mind for a very long time and I figured Spinal Tap, the fictitious heavy metal act as well as the stars of one of my very favorite films, has long-deserved this treatment. (This isn't the first time they've inspired my work.)

The image you saw earlier shows it under normal lighting, and this...

... is the way it looks under a black light (which is included with the piece).

In an effort to make it seem even more authentic, and to give it "that extra push over the cliff" I applied black flocking (fuzzy stuff) to some areas...


The show will be on display at the Gallery 1988: Melrose from Friday, July 8th through July 30th.


Speaking of C4C (as I smugly call it) they just released a big, beautiful book filled with selections from the first four years of the show...


Whoops, mine keeps opening to this page for some reason...


The book is available on Amazon and all over the place.

7 comments:

Jamey Clayberg said...

Love it KD, and yes my copy of the book will open to that page magically too, they do that with wires.

Todd Franklin said...

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people would probably have worshiped this awesome piece of artwork! Well done Kirk!!

phoneyfresh said...

Such a fine line between stupid and clever. You should have seen the poster he *wanted* to do.

But seriously, That poster goes to 11. Someone NEEDS to mass produce them things!

John Rozum said...

Great piece, Kirk! I'm also really pleased to be in that show with you (and 98 other people!) My book hasn't arrived, but hopefully it won't have the same flaw in binding. ; )

Alexa said...

As always, simply awesome.

Kirk D. said...

Jamey- thank you sar!

Todd- Thanks! that's back when the banshees lived and they did live well.

Phoneyfresh- thanks for the laugh! I wouldn't mind being a full time black light poster maker.

John- Thanks and yes this is an occasion worthy of celebrating! Your piece is awesome and tis an honor to share the walls with you.

Alexa- Thanks! Your comment brings me a feeling... of goodness.

Anonymous said...

I would expect that to be a big seller at Spencer's or the like, I'd buy two at least!
-john s.