December 14, 2006

TWELVE YEARS OF CHRISTMAS: YEAR THREE

1975
Ah, it finally happened. My brain had developed enough for me to fully embrace Christmas. When you're almost three there's no mistaking that something wonderful and unusual is happening, but you still have no clue that it's an annual event or what the words 'annual' or 'event' even mean. In the photo above my plastic motorcycle is parked in the state of Florida at my grandma's house which was less than an hour away from Disney World (thus the stuffed Pluto). Yes, as if Christmas morning weren't enough, I had gotten my first taste of Disney just a few days prior. Actually, a double dosage of magic like that could be considered a cruel thing to do to a child. I wonder how long it took me to realize that the rest of my life wouldn't carry on quite like it was going that week.
Note my little setup on the floor. I had been bulldozing Christmas candy right in front of the manger. Now that I think of it, that's just about the perfect metaphor for the way Christmas is perceived in the mind of a three-year-old.

No comments: