October 21, 2014

HALLOWEEN ENJOYABLES: THE LITTLE THINGS

Some of the best moments of the Halloween season can't be planned. They are the chance encounters with spookiness and little daily reminders that this is indeed a special time of year, be it the orange icing that adorns the grocery store bakery, the scarecrow on grandma's porch, or the extra supply of scary movies in the electronics department. Here are some of those kind of moments that I've experienced this year.

Freshly painted window ghosts on a small town cafe...
 

A home that wouldn't typically get a second glance is transformed into a photo op.

A Denny's that is obviously managed by a Halloween enthusiast (and the confused stares from customers as I walked around taking photos)...
Handmade typography in a small town video store takes on new relevance...
The discovery that the Crypt Keeper and Frankenstein's monster reside over this Horror section...
Said video store has some fun hand painted window graphics as well...
It's as 'mom and pop' as it gets.  Behind the counter sat two parents and their toddlers.
A pop-up Halloween shop offered a reminder of how sophisticated the holiday has become...
(photo by my friend Chris

On the other hand, a secondhand shop had a reminder of just how simple the holiday can be...
(photo by my friend Chris)  

Flea markets have brought out their Halloween stock, enabling me to invest a dollar fifty on these...
A small town variety shop provided me with a haunted castle from 1987 for fifty cents...

I found just the right fabric to make a new cape for this old Dracula figure...

The latecomer finally arrived...
My friend Jon showed up to our "VHS Night" with a lump of Sculpey, and by the end of the evening he'd created a piece or art for me. (The green guy in back is one of his former creations.)
A well-stocked end aisle of movie monsters. (No, Funko and Super7 do not sponsor this site.)

The gorilla on a laser tag course suddenly seems like super deluxe Halloween decor...

The sun gave me an additional Halloween decoration...

Had any unexpected Halloween moments this year?

5 comments:

Jody Birchfield said...

I've been taking note of the yard displays in my neighborhood on my nightly walks and it makes me feel very Halloweeney. Also I need to buy those Universal monsters figures IMMEDIATELY!

Kirk D. said...

I know what you mean, it's amazing what the site of a simple porch pumpkin can do.

I don't have any of the Universal ones yet since I have the old Remco figures so it seems redundant. But I was extremely tempted when I saw them up close. They were very well sculpted.

John Wells said...

That Haunted Castle is amazing, I love the colors and the detail. I'm always searching thrift stores and ebay for old decorations like that.

Kirk D. said...

After I set up the haunted castle I wished I had grabbed a couple more. Then I remembered that's how I got a garage full of stuff, and at least now they're still out there for guys like you to discover.

Tom said...

I love that painted Cafe window. Some real talent and appreciation for vintage Halloween design there.