March 06, 2008

MAD MAGAZINE HQ- 1997

I'm still unclear as to how it ever happened, but in 1997 my mother went out on a friendly date with the man seen in this photo. His name is Nick Meglin and he spent most of his career working for Mad Magazine, including a 20 year stint as an editor. I'll admit that this was the first time since my father's passing that I actually found myself wishing for more wedding bells for mom. Alas, the timing was all wrong; the love I was hoping for never bloomed and my dreams of wedding invitations illustrated by Sergio Aragonés (complete with Mad fold-in on the back) were shot dead as the White Spy. (I still wonder if Alfred E. Neuman is ordained.) On the lighter side, for me the encounter amounted to a good-sized stack of Mads, as well as this trio of recently rediscovered snapshots my mother took of the Mad offices. At the time they operated out of the DC Comics building at 1700 Broadway in Manhattan (I think they're still there). I'm guessing it wasn't open to the public, so I figured that some of you might appreciate this quick but rare glimpse of the place...

This surprisingly tasteful meeting area is overseen by the Alfred statue prop from Mad's foray into film, Up The Academy. The walls are adorned with what I assume to be original art for the mobile in Mad Follies #4.


This display is exactly what I would hope to see if I were to visit the Mad offices. Way to continually meet my expectations Mad. (Click the photo to enlarge.)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has always been my favorite mad bit.

How about you?

Adam Gott said...

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which they go to New York and Bart goes to the Mad magazine offices.

http://cool-mo-dee.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful. I can just see those invitations.

Even without them, though, it seems to me that your mom rocks. I can't imagine mine EVER going on even a "friendly" date with somebody who worked for MAD.

Mr. Karswell said...

You have had quite a childhood... in fact you've apparently had quite a few childhoods more than most of us.

Kirk D. said...

Looks like I've neglected to respond to the comments on this one. Here goes...

moremeatperinch- That was great, thanks for sharing! I can't think of a specific bit that's a favorite (I remember practically memorizing their take on the film Gremlins, just because I was so into that movie) I always loved the mad marginals and the other Aragones segments.

Adam- I was thinking the very same thing. I adore that episode.

Thanks vintage reader, I'll tell her you said so.

karswell- ha! indeed I got a lot of mileage out of my childhood. This took place when I was in my twenties although that doesn't really matter since I will forever think/act like a kid.

VonCheech said...

I would have cut my arm off to go here as a kid !