August 23, 2006

TOXIC DILEMMA

(click to enlarge)

I've recently come upon my greatest challenge as a blogger and I see no solution in sight. Weeks ago I attempted to make a "quickie post" out of this Toxic Avenger figure that I unexpectedly found inside a bag of Halloween-themed dollar store toys. I intended to make a humorous, yet poignant remark about how we as consumers expect the highest level of competency from those who manufacture the goods we buy, and yet if the makers of this particular bagged assortment of toys had any standards whatsoever they probably wouldn't have tossed a licensed toy like Toxie into the mix alongside the generic gargoyles and haunted trees, and I would have been far less delighted.

My troubles began early this summer when I first set out to photograph the little plastic guy. I soon realized that his neon hue plays havoc with the camera, and the images turned out blurry or the color would overpower the details. For weeks I would finalize each of my "photo sessions" with yet another attempt at capturing the essence of the figure. But every effort ended in failure. That is, until tonight. I shan't disclose the amount of time I invested in the task, but I feel that I have finally generated an acceptable (though not necessarily good) likeness of my plastic Avenger.

But I went too far. I somehow managed to get two adequate photos, each with it's own unique merits, and therefore I am faced with a more diabolical question.. which one to use. Neither of the images truly represent the effigy as it appears to the naked eye. The one on the left is closer, but there's something sterile and lifeless about it. The one on the right possesses an "artistic flair" with its dramatic lighting and yet the highlights are "blown out" and his expression is almost lost. I fear that the wrong choice will disgrace the sculptor who originated this piece. If you have a preference please share it.




9 comments:

chuckbaris said...

I prefer the left.

John Rozum said...

All those hours paid off, as both photos are destined to be iconic images of the 21st Century much like the flag raising at Iwo Jima, the Hindenberg exploding, or even that much copied image of Che Guevera.

What I want to know more about is the haunted trees and gargoyles, and if that dollar store has more. The ones hereabout never have anything that cool.

Anonymous said...

Right one, definitely!

Kirk, I love your site, too. Definitely.

Uncle Ernie said...

Photoshop could be the answer. Thanks for your posts.

Anonymous said...

Kirk, step away from the blog, NO, just put down the blog and walk away. There, that's better (GRAB HIM) this is for your own good, here, see? We call this sunshine! Isn't that nice? So much better than that nasty ole computer...
Plastic men? Oh you silly, there is no such thing, here, look, a tree!!!

HarveyMidnight said...

The one on the right, definitely... The pose & accents are much more dynamic.

Nope said...

the one on the right.

Das Brick said...

Kirk you are the king!! I love reading this stuff. Your post is like reading a Socratic dialogue about the Real and the Ideal. Righty is the Ideal. Embrace the true inner Toxie!! Go go go!!!

Kirk D. said...

Sorry I never took the time to thank you all for your input and to welcome k2, ernie, and chris to the comments board.

As you can see, your help made my next post a smashing success.

das- thankfully, you understand the greater philisophical issues that are at stake here. Yes. This is exactly like a Grecian town forum all over again.